Dr. Orla Mahony is a small animal internist with a special interest in endocrinology. She teaches students in their senior year during their small animal medicine rotations, and is board certified by both the American and European Colleges of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
Growing up in Ireland as the daughter of a beef cattle rancher, Dr.Mahoney says she always wanted to be a veterinarian. After attending University College in Dublin for veterinary training and an internship,Dr. Mahoney moved to England to work in small animal practice. She wanted to specialize further and was accepted into a residency program at Tufts, where she has worked since 1994.
Since then, several cases stand out.
Scoping an anaconda was an experience I will never forget! she says. More recently, she
managed the clinical care for a dog with myasthenia gravis and a thymoma. The dog required a team of doctors, residents, students and technicians from surgery, oncology, anesthesia, neurology and intensive care to remove her thymic tumor and get her through a challenging post-operative recovery. Dr. Mahoney adds that,
further phenomenal care at home has allowed her to feel like her old self.
I love solving tough cases, and I love teaching. To have a job that allows me to work with people who love animals is a privilege, she says. In her free time, she enjoys volunteering at her daughter's school.
- MVB - University College Dublin, Ireland - 1987
- Connell, L.S., Gabrielli, L., Mahony, O., Russo, L., Cipolla, L., Jones, J.R. 2017. Functionalizing natural polymers with alkoxysilane coupling agents: Reacting 3-glycidoxypropyl trimethoxysilane with poly(Î³-glutamic acid) and gelatin. Polymer Chemistry.
- Mahony, O., Yue, S., Turdean-Ionescu, C., Hanna, J.V., Smith, M.E., Lee, P.D., Jones, J.R. 2014. Silica-gelatin hybrids for tissue regeneration: Inter-relationships between the process variables. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology.
- Mahony, O., Tsigkou, O., Ionescu, C., Minelli, C., Ling, L., Hanly, R., Smith, M.E., Stevens, M.M., Jones, J.R. 2010. Silica-gelatin hybrids with tailorable degradation and mechanical properties for tissue regeneration. Advanced Functional Materials.
- Mahony, O., Tsigkou, O., Ionescu, C., Minelli, C., Smith, M.E., Stevens, M.M., Jones, J.R. 2009. Silica-gelatin hybrid scaffolds with controlled degradation and mechanical properties. European Cells and Materials.
- Mahony, O., Gentleman, E., Stevens, M., Jones, J. 2008. Sol-gel derived type i collagen-bioactive glass nanocomposite. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008.
- Mahony, O., Jones, J.R. 2008. Porous bioactive nanostructured scaffolds for bone regeneration: A sol-gel solution. Nanomedicine.
General Research Interests
Selected Research Projects
- The effect of isoflavones on thyroid function of normal cats.
- Ultrasonographic appearance of the pancreas in older cats.
Research Interests by Area
Spontaneous Animal Disease Models
- Canine hypothyroidism, feline hyperthyroidism, Cushing's, Addison's, diabetes mellitus
Research Interests by Organ System and Disease
- Canine hypoadrenocorticism, hyperadrenocorticism, and diabetes mellitus. Feline insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus.